Never having been one for New Year’s resolutions, I opt instead to write out a list of goals at end beginning of every year that I want to accomplish. These goals get written in my planner, because I’m old school and despite having everything on my phone, I love the act of sitting and writing out activities to fill up my days, weeks, and months. And because I have my planner with me every day, this means that I either consciously or subconsciously glance at my list of goals daily, which serves to reinforce them in my mind.
So how did I do for 2015?
- start a new fulfilling job – YES. I started working for Runner’s World magazine in February and enjoy it immensely.
- spin teacher certification –YES/NO. I’m giving myself a half-accomplished score here, because while I didn’t get spin certified, I did take the plunge and enroll in the NASM CPT course and have been studying to become a personal trainer
- be better at HTML + CSS – NO. I didn’t make this a SMART goal, so it was sort of nebulous to begin with. Although I learned HTML last year and made a website for myself, I let that website lapse…but I have retained lots of knowledge and feel confident navigating my site’s code.
- pay off credit card debt 100%- YES. Wahoo! Had a few thousand on there remaining from the wedding and it’s gonezo.
- pay down 30% of student loan- YES. Redacted exact amount above, but paid down 35% and have a plan to get it to zero by April 2016.
- reach goal weight –NO. Redacted again, because while I believe the scale number doesn’t matter, I don’t want to put a # out into the universe because that opens the door for unhealthy comparisons. But I am 10 lbs over my wedding weight from last year and want to get back to feeling 1000% kickass amazing!
- get this blog back up and running –YES. ‘Nuff said.
- change name legally – YES. All the major documents are done, with my only having a minor identity crisis during the year.
- read 30 books – YES. Safe to say I crushed this one, and mid-way through the year set that goal to 50. I finished book #51 yesterday.
- practice regular meditation – YES. This is a priority, and I aim to do this daily…occasionally falling off the wagon when we travel, though.
- sell wedding dress – YES/NO. Listed it, but haven’t sold it yet. Which reminds me, anyone want to buy a dress?
- dabble in painting/art – YES/NO. No success on the painting front, but I did acquire my mom’s old sewing machine that I have been using, albeit infrequently. But I did make a pillow case!
- 20 push-ups in AM + PM- NO. Oops.
- floss regularly – NO. I feel like this one will always be on my goals list. I do a few times a week, but I knowwwwww it should be daily!
- bake a 2 layer cake – YES. Yay!
- run a marathon – NO. This was a lofty goal, seeing as I had a badly sprained ankle last winter that I didn’t properly start rehabbing until May. Lesson learned.
- weekly yoga – NO. Ugh, I feel so good when I do yoga, I need to make this a regular thing.
- adopt a vegan diet – YES. Probably the thing I am most proud of doing this year. After a stint as a college vegetarian-turned-vegan-turned-meat-eater-again, I made my way back to vegetarianism last year and went fully vegan in early 2015.
- shift wake-up time to 5:15AM – YES. I’m a creature of habit, and while the holidays have pushed this wake-up time back a bit, I still thrive on a consistent wake-up time every weekday.
- stop using the word “just”- YES/NO. I proofread all emails and censor myself to avoid actively using it, but it may slip into my conversations.
All in all, I am thrilled with 2015! What a year it was. And now for 2016 goals which I may update in the next few days as I come up with additional goals…I feel like 20 is a good solid number to work with over the course of 12 months:
- Write daily in DayOne App
- Use Duolingo daily and become fluent in Spanish
- Meditate daily
- Get an article published in a vegan magazine
- Pay off student loan 100% by April 2016
- Read 50 books
- No alcohol for all of 2016
- Pass personal trainer certification exam in May 2016
- Set up LLC for training side hustle
- Write 1 blog post every week
- Travel to South America again
- Work on sewing regularly
- Weekly yoga practice
Here’s to a GREAT 2016!