Monday nights lately have been great weeknight dinners, primarily because Kristian usually works from home on Mondays. This means I can text him as I get ready to leave work and bike home in a hunger frenzy, nicely requesting that he get things started in the kitchen. As I was leaving tonight, I asked him if he could throw some quinoa in the rice cooker so it would be finished by the time I got home. That + a head of romaine + some BBQ sauce that I discovered while doing some cabinet organizing the other day and we had a huuuuge salad that hit. the. spot. The dressing is also the laziest thing ever, since most “cream” based vegan dressings require you to soak cashews for at least a few hours, but preferably overnight. BUT with the help of my beloved Vitamix and some boiling water, we had a creamy Caesar dressing in under 3 minutes. Can’t beat that for a simple weeknight meal!
BARBEQUE CAESAR SALAD
– 1/2 head romaine lettuce
– 1 cup cooked quinoa
– 1 15oz can of chickpeas
– 1/3 cup barbeque sauce of your choice
– 1 package tempeh
– 1/4 cup hot water
– 1 low sodium vegetable bouillon cube
– 1/3 cup raw cashews
– 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
– splash of liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
– 1 clove garlic
– 1/2 avocado
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine chickpeas + barbeque sauce in a bowl, tossing to coat.
2. Roast chickpeas for 20 minutes until slightly crunchy. You can also roast the sliced tempeh at the same time!
3. Wash + tear up your lettuce and set aside.
4. In a cup, stir to combine hot water with bouillon cube until you have 1/4 cup of broth. Add this to the blender.
5. In addition to the broth, add to the blender: garlic, cashews, nutritional yeast, liquid aminos. Blend on high for 1 minute until smooth. 6. Assemble and devour! You’ll probably have some leftover sauce, so you can store it in a sealed tupperware or jar in the fridge where it should keep for up to a week.