Every time I make a bean and rice dish, I swear I start humming the song “Baby Got Back”….ya know the line “red beans and rice didn’t miss her!” Tonight’s dinner came together quickly because both Kristian and I initially had plans to be out tonight, both of which fell through. I hadn’t included a Monday dinner in this week’s meal plan, so I took stock of what we had and did a quick run to the food co-op for a few additional items. One such item was 4 lbs of cherries…because I just cannot get enough of them in the summer! YUM. Anyways, taco salad. Here we go!
I’ve been into black rice recently, but find that making a rice medley is a nicer way to enjoy it since it’s pretty dense on its own. We combined half black rice and half brown rice, so that’s what this recipe calls for, but use whatever you’ve got! Some yellow rice would be wonderful in this dish. I can always tell when something is a repeat meal because Kristian, who is usually the slowest eater in the world, absolutely devours it. And that’s exactly what happened with this one! Enjoy.
MIXED RICE AND BEAN TACO SALAD
Servings: 6 Serving Size: 1/2 cup bean mixture Nutritional Info: 285 calories, 3.6 g fat, 24.6 g carbohydrates, 5 g of fiber, 33 g of protein
– 1 cup rice, dry
– 1 15oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
– 1/4 cup salsa
– 1 tsp cumin
– 1 tsp garlic powder
– 1 package Upton’s Ground Seitan
– 1/4 cup Daiya Shreds, cheddar style
– 1/2 head romaine lettuce
Optional: avocado and hot sauce!
1. Cook rice on stove or in rice cooker.
2. Add cooked rice, seitan, beans, salsa, garlic powder, cumin, and a bit of water to a skillet to simmer and combine ingredients.
3. Chop up desired amount of romaine and top with 1/2 cup rice and bean mixture. Drizzle with hot sauce, Daiya cheese shreds, and avocado!